This visa allows a person who needs to care for a relative with a long-term or permanent illness; or assist a relative to care for one of a family member with a long-term or permanent illness to live Australia permanently. Relative include your partner, child, parent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, grandchild or grandparent.
Who is eligible:
- You must be able to help and fully understand the kind of care or assistance needed by the relative on a continuous basis for at least two years in Australia.
- Your relative have been assessed by a designated health service provider as needing your care.
- Your relative is unable to find the same kind of care from another relative, welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia.
- Your relative is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
What this visa lets you do:
It lets you and any family members who have been granted this visa to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
- apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need to apply for another visa if you want to return to Australia.
- A relative or a partner of the relative to the applicant of the carer visa
- 18 years of age or above
- A settled Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen in Australia.
- Sign an undertaking to provide support, accommodation and financial assistance to the applicant and any dependent of the visa for the first two years