This visa allows a person who needs to care for a relative with a long-term or permanent illness; or assist a relative to care for one of a family member with a long-term or permanent illness to live Australia permanently. Relative include your partner, child, parent, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, grandchild or grandparent.


Who is eligible:

  • You must be able to help and fully understand the kind of care or assistance needed by the relative on a continuous basis for at least two years in Australia.
  • Your relative have been assessed by a designated health service provider as needing your care.
  • Your relative is unable to find the same kind of care from another relative, welfare, hospital, nursing or community services in Australia.
  • Your relative is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.


What this visa lets you do:

It lets you and any family members who have been granted this visa to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need to apply for another visa if you want to return to Australia.


Your sponsor:

  • A relative or a partner of the relative to the applicant of the carer visa
  • 18 years of age or above
  • A settled Australian citizen or permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen in Australia.
  • Sign an undertaking to provide support, accommodation and financial assistance to the applicant and any dependent of the visa for the first two years